Saturday, December 22, 2018

The Night Muse Stole Christmas, so they could bring it early!

 
Muse at the Aragon Ballroom


Early in November, as we Musers were having eargasms over the new album, Simulation Theory, we got news of official tour dates and ticket pre-sales, but a number of cities did not have dates yet, including the big 3 of NYC, LA and Chicago. Minneapolis was not even on the radar this tour. So I thought I was off the hook for ticket buying stress the morning of Nov. 9, but then we saw tweets from 101WKQX announcing Muse headlining night 5 of their holiday shows- The Nights We Stole Christmas, exactly 1 month away! I had to think fast, well OK, not much thinking was involved, though I was responsible enough to check my credit card balances first. A little nudge from my original Muse queue buddy, Mandy, was enough to convince me to do it, and I bought the ticket.

Transportation was up in the air for a few days, but knowing how nice riding Amtrak had been in April, I decided to get in on that if I could score the cheaper tickets, which I did. Driving myself in my ancient car was not an option, and parking is scarce at my sister's (but lodging is free!), she actually prefers fetching me from Union Station.

The weeks flew by, and despite some home repair strife, I was on my way early in the morning of Dec. 8. I got closer to finishing As Always Julia, and did the dining car for lunch, where I got seated with 2 older men, one a Vietnam vet, the other having just returned from Vietnam as a tourist! So I mostly listened to them compare notes, fascinating! But I didn't eat too much because I knew Diane was going to take me out for REAL pizza- Chicago Deep Dish.

Deep dish pizza at Pizano's
Diane also chauffered me to meet up with Mandy at what I considered an ungodly hour the next morning,  It was not really too cold for Chicago in December but we were layered up anyway, ready to spend the whole day outside the venue, the Aragon Ballroom.  It had been 40 some years since I was last there for my very first rock concert.  We were 15 & 16 in the queue.

early morning queue outside the Aragon



























We soon discovered the handy Starbucks across the street was not going to be so handy- their bathrooms were not available on Sundays! We were able to find other places nearby though, and spent the time catching up with friends, some we had not seen since previous Muse gigs in Chicago. We also tried to fix it so the maximum number of people would get early entry for donating a child's coat, by pairing up plus ones, but this fell apart when the WKQX folks came out with the wristbands before we had it sorted.

Sean Kelly's magnificent Matt-like shoes











Having the wristband reduced anxiety a little, and Mandy, Jae and I decided after that was a good time for last bathroom run. Unfortunately, that meant we missed Muse leaving the venue for dinner between sound check and show time 😔 So some other lucky fans got to meet Dom, though Matt & Chris slipped away.  I seem to have a real knack for missing out on these opportunities.

It got darker and colder but excitement kept us warm. Soon staff separated those of us with wristbands into a separate line.  Then after not much longer they lined us up to go in first as promised.  We had to stop on the stairs once inside and Salty the Snowman , WKQX's mascot kept us riled up. Then some idiot decided to let the rest of the queue in behind us with no attempt to keep people in order.  They all pushed forward of course, and there easily could have been a stampede. One of my friends did fall twice running to the barrier, but she made it and so did I. However, people who should have been right next to us ended up behind. Not as bad as Detroit 2016, but still, stupid and dangerous. Still, we were in our happy place now!

barrier in blue

                                                            
Mandy & me , very ready for Muse




I don't remember if the venue was quite as charming back in the 70s but the ceiling was certainly lovely now.

Barns Courtney opened with an energetic set. His stage presence reminded me of Jim Morrison, but not the music, still it was kickass rock n roll and he's a powerful singer.





The second support band was Jungle. Most of us were not impressed, and I didn't take any pictures. All of their songs sounded the same to me, and would maybe be OK background music at a party.

Finally it was time for Muse! Knowing they had not opened with Algorithm a few days before, I wasn't counting on it, but they did open with it. Besides being an all around great song, it allows Matt to be extra theatrical. 

Matt Bellamy

Crystal's video of Algorithm, she was just a bit to my left.



Next up was Psycho, which got everyone jumping.

"your ass belongs to me now"

The Wolstenbeast

The Aragon is a smaller venue than Muse usually play, but Matt still did plenty of jumping.

Matt Bellamy

I had friends all around so it was not too hard to take close ups, except for the lighting issues. 

Matt Bellamy looking bright & shiny


Next came  Break It To Me, another new song I was hoping to hear. I don't know the videographer, 
but I suspect they were right behind me.


The jacket came off, and some of us hollered for more 😉 knowing Matt has suggested Chris & Dom perform shirtless!

Matt Bellamy
Matt Bellamy


A few guitar god moments




Matt & Chris


Matt belting out a note, possibly during The Dark Side, an early fav of mine from Simulation Theory.

Matt Bellamy 
Some classic Matt pointing, not sure if this might have been during the US debut of the "Metal Medley". Fans were not too sure about this concept when Matt first mentioned it, it's parts of a good number of their heavier songs, but we found it works quite well.

Matt Bellamy
I can't remember where in the show Matt asked how many of us had been at Lollapalooza in 2017. Sounded like a lot of us had been, then he said "fucking weather!" So I think this was in part a make up show for that sad occasion when they were yanked off stage after 3 songs because of rain.

Matt Bellamy

I tried to not take too many photos and be present,  though you can see I kind of failed at first.  As usual, the closer, Knights of Cydonia came too soon, but was a bit less bittersweet since Matt had told us they would be back for the regular tour "Marchish"

Chris, Man with a Harmonica


Matt Bellamy

"you and I must fight to survive"



















Matt & Dom at the end of Knights of Cydonia


It seemed the band were really enjoying this gig, and it was a very full show for a short holiday set. 



Several of us who had stowed things in Jae's car agreed to go straight there after the gig,  That took a while, and I wondered if I was missing a chance to meet the band again. Some friends were waiting in the alley hoping for the best, though I could see they had the SUVs behind a barricade. When Mandy got to the car she told me they had been shooed away from that spot, so we gave up on "stalking" Anyhow, Mandy had to get up for work the next day, and I was ready to get to my sister's where I knew there might be some pizza left. I was kind of sad to not join up with others partying after, but knew I needed to save my money for another ticket, not to mention my home repair problems. 

From their social media posts, it seems Muse did stick around Chicago for a day to rest up. So did I , and went out for a walk in the mild weather, but not far enough to run into them by Lake Michigan. Chicago was lacking snow, but looking pretty festive, especially in my sister's swanky neighbourhood. 
South Loop holiday decor

Anyhow, we soon heard that Muse was coming back to Chicago April 12 at the United Center, and the pre-sale would be tomorrow! I was grateful my train did not leave until afternoon so I could deal with that. I texted  my sister right away to make sure it was a good time to visit again!  Yes, it was , and I double checked which of my accounts actually had money left in them, got my cards updated at TicketBastard and thought I was ready.

Diane spoiled me with spinach quiche for brunch, and I was ready at my laptop promptly at 10 am. I was not in the "waiting room" long, but somehow there were no regular GA tickets left already. I took a deep breath and went for the cheaper of the VIP packages. I had no business spending that much on a ticket, but it was the only show this next tour that I know I can get to, and while there was another pre-sale later, it was too close to my time to pack up and leave, and I had no way of knowing for sure if there would be more regular GA tickets. As it turns out, there were some, and even in the regular sale too. Perhaps I'll trade down later,  unless it seems like I can use the VIP ticket to help a friend or two get to the barrier.

See you in a few months, Chicagoland! 

Chicago skyline as seen from the Empire Builder







1 comment: